Mukran

(©MukranPort)(With the kind support of Mukran Port)
(©MukranPort)
(With the kind support of Mukran Port)
Sassnitz ferry port is a German seaport on the Baltic Sea in the Mukran district of the town of Sassnitz. It is located on the Prorer Wiek in the east of the island of Rügen. The port was put into operation in October 1986 as Fährhafen Mukran for the Mukran-Klaipèda ferry service. Fährhafen Sassnitz GmbH has been operating the port under the Mukran Port brand since May 2016.


(With the kind support of Mukran Port)
As early as 1909, the Sassnitz city port was used as a rail ferry port for the Royal Line to Trelleborg (Sweden). From 1963, there were plans for a ferry connection between the GDR and the Soviet Union. The starting point of the ferries on the GDR side was to be the port of Mövenort on the north coast of the island of Rügen. These plans were discarded; new plans for the construction of a ferry connection began in 1977. Starting in 1982, the ferry port in Mukran was built as one of the last major transportation construction projects in the GDR at a cost of two billion GDR marks. In particular, it was intended to create an efficient ferry connection for freight traffic with Klaipèda (Memel) in Lithuania, which at the time belonged to the Soviet Union, in order to bypass the lengthy overland route for transporting goods from the GDR to the Soviet Union, which was costly due to transit fees and had also become unsafe due to the political situation in Poland at the time. Numerous NVA construction soldiers were also involved in the port expansion.


On the island of Rügen flint fields extend between Mukran and Prora in the northern part of the narrow heath (54° 27′ 59″ N, 13° 33′ 27″ O).
They are also called "Stony Sea" and occupy an area of 40 ha (2000 m x 200 m). During a series of storm surges 3,500 to 4,000 years ago, the stones that had weathered out of the chalk cliff of the Jasmund Peninsula over time and initially accumulated at the base of the cliff were shipped to this location and deposited. Due to the relatively high thickness of the barren flint deposits, these show only sparse vegetation to this day.

Flint fields are boulders of flint. They are partly redeposited (resedimented) weathering residues of flint-bearing, mostly Jurassic and Cretaceous limestones.
>

Compact



Maritime gateway to the Baltic States

As a district of Sassnitz, Neu Mukran is located at the northern end of the Prorer Wiek on the edge of the Schmalen Heide in the immediate vicinity of the flint fields. Sassnitz and the chalk cliffs as well as Prora and Binz can be easily reached via well-developed cycling and hiking trails. Always recommended for a stop in the village is the inn "zum Hülsenkrug", whose history dates back to 1540. At that time it was still called "Buddelkrog" and served as a rest house and horse transformer station. South of Neu Mukran, one of the most beautiful beaches of Rügen stretches along the Prorer Wiek as far as Binz. The place is known mainly as the location of the ferry port Sassnitz, which was put into operation in October 1986 as the ferry port Mukran for the ferry connection Mukran-Klaipèda (Memel). In this sense, Neu Mukran is still considered an important maritime transhipment point and is the third largest German Baltic Sea port. From here, rail ferries, RoRo ferries, general cargo and bulk carriers, as well as cruise ships depart for the Baltic States, including Sweden, Denmark and Russia. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Translated with: DeepL

Rügen Island in public sources

Information about the island of Rügen.

To the top of the page